News and features writer/producer, May 2016 - June 2017 | January 2018 - Present (Freelance)
- Write and produce long-form features as well as quick-turn around breaking news stories using engaging graphics and stills
- Run live blogs during key events - such as the 2017 UK election - and breaking news
- Lead writer for special feature series, Inside the Middle East and Passion to Portfolio in addition to many short-term sponsored series pinned to days of recognition such as International Women’s Day
- Search social media to gather and verify UGC
- Monitor and edit the desktop and mobile homepages
News editor, November 2015 - August 2016 | October 2017 - Present (Freelance)
- Support senior news editors in running hour by hour UK news coverage
- Make key decisions about news stories and deployment of journalists and crews
- Work as a planning news editor to lead the setting-up of the next day’s news agenda and planned coverage
- Work as a field news editor alongside crews and correspondents to deliver first class coverage for television and digital platforms from location
- Play a key liaison role between news-gathering and output to ensure newsroom operations are joined up and collaborative across all platforms
- Constantly across social media platforms to find crucial and exclusive UGC
Producer, June 2017 - October 2017
- Create short documentary style videos on a series of topics to run on social media for both editorial and commercial purposes
- Help lead the creative process and deliver editorial direction by writing video briefs
- Create series ideas and find engaging case studies
- Manage workloads of freelance video editors and camera operators
- Pitch and present ideas to senior editorial members of staff
Freelance video producer, October 2015 - May 2017 (sporadically)
- Search for shareable social media content
- Edit original and exclusive video content for the website and social media pages
- Find, clear and verify UGC quickly during breaking news stories
THE TIMES / THE SUNDAY TIMES
Freelance multimedia producer, October 2015 - June 2016
- Part of a digital growth project, where the aim is to increase social media followings and site subscriptions
- Pitch, create and experiment with unique content unlike anything The Times has published online before
- Set up interviews and organise the daily schedule
- Shoot on XDCAMs and edit project in Final Cut Pro
NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA
Video Journalist, Producer & Editor 06/01/2014 – 04/09/2015
- News Corp’s only Queensland-based video journalist
- Awarded ‘Best Use of Video’ at News Corp’s News Awards in October 2014 for 'A Missing Person Like No Other', a mini-documentary on the Baden-Clay trial
- Required to work independently (produce, film, script and edit video pieces) as video director and team members are located in other states.
- Sourced and created original video content for both breaking news and planned features across all of News Corp Australia's online mastheads.
- Produced compelling mini-documentaries on high-profile stories such as the Morcombe and Baden-Clay trials. Both are two of the most well-known murder cases in Queensland and Australian history.
- Worked around the clock during the G20 summit to produce video content. The summit was attended by delegates such as Barack Obama and Vladimir Putin.
- Trained by Beltin Group in conflict reporting
THE JERUSALEM PROJECT – BASED IN ISRAEL
Reporter 25/06/2013 – 25/07/2013
- Produced multimedia stories on Palestinian refugee camps in the West Bank, Ultra-Orthodox Jewish women in Jerusalem and several reviews on life in Israel
- Experienced in international and freelance reporting
- Conducted interviews in a religious and culturally diverse country
- Interacted with various organisations (United Nations, European Union, small nonprofit groups)
QUT NEWS TV AND RADIO (31DIGITAL & 4EB RADIO)
Reporter, Newsreader & Producer 08/10/2012 – 31/10/2013
- Gathered, scripted and produced a number of news items for television and radio broadcasting
- Daily activities included news pitches, piece-to-cameras, voice overs, interviews as well as interacting and working with a camera crew.
- All daily deadlines were met (1pm for radio and 5pm for television)
NEWS CORP NEWS AWARDS 2014
- Best Use of Video - 'A Missing Person Like No Other'
- Multimedia reporting that incorporates high quality writing with the ability to think beyond the story and incorporate creative and engaging graphics, photographs and videos to make it an enjoyable user experience
- Able to seamlessly turn around stories on tight deadlines and work part of a team during live blogging events
- Technical skills such as video production with the ability to shoot on DSLR & XDCAM and edit in Premiere Pro
- Competent in systems such as iNews, ENPS, Newsboss, Methode and CMS and a fast learner when introduced to new programs
- Incredibly well-versed in social media, especially when it comes to sourcing and verifying user generated content
- Clear understanding of media and copyright laws
- Able to shoot on Digital SLR and XD Sony cameras
- Editing suites (Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, iMovie)
CHANNEL 9 NEWS – BRISBANE 2013
Fulfilled multifaceted duties that included reporting, researching, interviews, piece-to-cameras and press conferences.
NEWS QUEENSLAND – THE COURIER-MAIL 2012
Collated and wrote stories which appeared in over 12 different local papers.
BRISBANE MODEL UNITED NATIONS CONFERENCE 2012
Press delegate for the Human Rights Council. Wrote features, live blogged every 30 minutes and tweeted up-to-the-minute information.
BACHELOR OF JOURNALISM (ADVANCED RADIO & TELEVISION JOURNALISM) 2013
Queensland University of Technology
Key achievements: Received distinctions in advanced radio and television journalism and was selected to be part of the news reading team for QUT News TV.
INTERNATIONAL REPORTING IN ISRAEL JUNE – JULY 2013
Hebrew University of Jerusalem / Institute of Education in International Media (ieiMedia)
Overall course GPA: 95% A+
Key achievements: Worked in The West Bank with several groups including the United Nations, European Union and small organisations to create a video package about Palestinian refugee camps.